Pages

Popular Posts

Thursday 14 June 2012

Mohair BJD Wig


In The Spirit of Made Do And Mend
After having enjoyed taking apart and reusing an old christening robe I thought I would use the "Made do and Mend" principle to a mohair wig.  I rummaged in some of my boxes and found some old wigs that I had either made or bought back in my making reproduction antique dolls day.
I love doing this but in the course of several moves it become impossible to lug around kilns, heavy plaster moulds and all the other paraphernalia needed for this craft. So they were sold or given away but I kept a lot of the materials and smaller tools just in case. And some have come in useful when dealing with ball jointed dolls too.
I had made a wig out of almost white mohair which had a lovely softness and gentle curl to it but the colour just was not right for an antique doll even a reproduction one.  So it was never used but packed away in its tissue paper ever since.
So I set about reducing it in size as I had made it for a doll with quite a bigger head.  I made a few snips and took a whole section of the back out.
It was still looking a bit too big so I put a pleat into the back and that seemed to solve the problem.
Its still looking a little bit "wild n woolly" but I think if I give it a spray with water and do a little bit of scrunching I should be able to tame it. I think also a light trim could be called for too.
Its amazing how much a new hair style can affect a girl. Her whole personality started to change.
First she got a little pensive...... do I like this or not?
Then the mood changed again a little nostalgic perhaps.
Then all those fluffy blond curls started to take on a more excitable mood. A little bit on the wild side until she just began to revel in the whole blonde bimbo thing. (No offence to any blondes out there of course).
Maybe I had better have another look in that wig box and see if I can find something a little more sedate and school mistress like to calm things down!

No comments:

Post a Comment